What Does a Virtual Session Look Like?
Virtual session for your kids: What does it look like?
From a mom from Southern California-
“Charles has made so much improvement- so grateful for your help.
He was so much more regulated after the session and he’s jumping for the first time! Those are the major noticeable changes – but I can go on and on.
Thank you again.”
At Kinetic Konnections we love being able to offer alternatives to support your family in more flexible ways. Check out the reasons why a virtual session may be a good option for your family in our last BLOG post.
Here is the flow and set-up for how a virtual session generally works. (Virtual sessions for adults are slightly different. I’ll share more about that next time.)
Five Parts to a Virtual Session
- Define the goal for the session. Is there an injury to address, a developmental goal to master, or behavioral to re-regulate following illness or growth?
- Assess. We talk you through the movements to assess your child’s current state, as we gather information to help with determining next steps.
- Bridging® movements. We coach you to perform several Bridging movements as well as talk you through the changes to expect.
- Re-assess. We guide you through some of the initial assessment movements to gauge the session’s changes.
- Homework. We may select one Bridging movement which will benefit your child, coach you through it again for confidence, and then discuss when/how often to do it on your own.
Four Key Ingredients for Success
For a great virtual session, these are the elements we find to be essential:
- A healthy helper. You or a helper need to be physically able to bend forward and lift/move your child’s arms and legs. A lot of strength is not a necessity, but flexibility is.
- Flat accessible space. The ideal option is to have a flat open space (floor, bed, sofa).
- Webcam or phone/tablet camera. There are many choices of cameras to use. Make sure you can prop it up with a good viewing angle for our Zoom session. Bright lighting and a quiet room are a bonus.
- Peanut Balls (optional) When you have a longer term goal, it’s a great idea to purchase a set of peanut balls. (Amazon — Milliard Peanut Balls) They they are inexpensive, fun, and make working so much easier!
Our goal at Kinetic Konnections is to keep your body optimally organized to behave, focus and be active for the things you enjoy in life.